søndag 7. august 2011

OFF TO THE PRINTERS

torskefinne_oppslag06
Celebrations has been in order, and the pdf for the insides of Trøysteboka has been sent to the printers. The cover and endpapers will be finished up tomorrow by me and Silje N.

This has taken so many hours, alot more than I get paid, but I like to believe it’s worth it. It’s my babySmilefjes But I think that is every artist’s doom, NEVER start counting the hours. At the same time I think we should, but I don’t have time to be the one on the barricades, then that would be my job instead. But the graphic designer (and musician) for Skald put it quite neatly when I told her the hours I’ve put into this; “There is no point in me as a musician to go on stage and only play one song and then leave because of what I am paid, it’s better to do an amazing concert that might lead to other gigs.”

And I agree. To a point. Since 2006 I have done three huge bookprojects that took half a year each, countless freelance illustrations for magazines and newspapers, and I’m at work around the clock. I’m grateful that I have commissions, don’t get me wrong, only the hours never seem to shorten for each project. Actually it gets worse beacuse you want what you do to be GREAT. I wouldn’t have done it any other way, I want to feel I have really done my best.

But what scares me is that whenever I read interviews with other Norwegian illustrators, usually the ones that have been doing this for 20-30 and 40 years, they almost always say; “I have the best job in the world, but it doesn’t pay well.” Yay. What a futureSmilefjes 

Now I’m quite broke, because I haven’t been able to accept new commissions while working with Trøysteboka, and we finished about a month later than planned, which also didn’t do much good for my economy. Luckily I have my beautiful private customers and  Epla-customers that kept me fed trough this last month! You don’t know how much you supported me buying my work.

I’m probably in a “post-huge-bookproject-vacuum” now, maybe it’ll look a bit brighter when I get back to work tomorrow and can send an invoice for the rest of the fee for the book.Smilefjes

4 kommentarer:

  1. Hei Gunvor!
    Det er interessant det du skriver, har hørt lignende uttrykt fra andre kreative sjeler...

    Står du forresten fritt til å selge skissene/originaltegningene (fra boka) videre, eller eier forlaget alt sammen?

    SvarSlett
  2. Juhu:) Forlaget har faktisk i denne runden tilbudt meg å hjelpe til å lage en utstilling med tegningene fra boken, og kanskje litt produkter med tegninger på siden de er klar over at jeg har jobbet en del mer timer enn honoraret dekker. Så har nettopp snakket med dem om eierskap til tegningene, og jeg kan selge og bruke tegningene som jeg vil så lenge jeg ikke lager nye bøker haha;) Så tenkte faktisk å lage sengetøy med en av figurene fra boken på og prøve å selge de gjennom dem:) Ah, våknet med litt mer stå-på-vilje idag, uthvilt og full i espresso;) Men ja, det er en tankevekker, jeg har ikke lyst å bli enda en av dem som "jo det gikk greit å jobbe sånn da jeg ikke hadde hus og barn lissom". Og det vil jeg jo på et punkt, men vil ikke gi slipp på jobben min, og ser at hvis det skal funke må timebetaling opp og antall timer på jobb ned.

    SvarSlett
  3. Å så stilig/ flott/ fantastisk!
    Skjønner godt at du får ståpåvilje av slike nyheter, kjenner jeg blir giret på dine vegne;)

    Så lenge man eier sitt eget arbeid, åpner det jo opp for at man kan gjøre en hel del ting (salgsutstilling + merchandise), som kan bringe inn litt penger i en småslunken pengepung.
    Lykke til!

    SvarSlett
  4. Flinke flotte Gunvor! Gleder meg til å se resultatet!

    Sengetøy sa du?

    Det må jeg ha! ....jeg mener det tror jeg Garman trenger (eller kanskje de kommer i voksen størrelser oxo?)

    SvarSlett

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Grab This Widget